Tuesday, February 9, 2010

What's on your bookshelf????

People often ask me, "What books do I read about the business"? The answer is...ALL OF THEM.
I'm a firm believer that you can never acquire too much information. There are a few 'standards' that I even re-read before doing a project in order to brush up on my skills. "Production Mangement 101" by D. Patz, "Film Budgeting" by Deke Simon, and "Guerilla Guide to Filmmaking" by Genevieve Joliffe. These three books are worn and highlighted constant companions packed in my suitcase for all location shoots.


I always browse used bookstores during my travels, or hit my fave Powell's Bookstore when I am at home in Portland. I might pickup a screenwriting book to understand character development, or a behind the scenes 'the making of' book, maybe a compelling autobiography. There is nothing like gaining knowledge from a Spielberg, Spike, or Kubrick with something written in their own words. After seeing the panel of award nominees for the DGA this year, I can't wait to read more by or about Kathryn Bigelow and Lee Daniels.

Print information is invaluable, I  subscribe to Moviemaker, Filmmaker, Fade In, and various online sites that feed me daily doses about the hustle & bustle of the film/tv industry.

So the question stands...."what's on your bookshelf"?



1 comment:

  1. I agree. My shelf has been full of all of the above as well. I will read almost anything business related in order to increase my savvy.

    Katherine Bigelow is definately high on my list this year. :o)

    ReplyDelete